Purse(s) (f) ScalesTill(s)
Basket(s)Changing Room(s) Escalator(s)
Ways to pay
Where to buy what
Ladies Clothing Shop or Boutique
Mens Clothing Shop or Tailor's
Shoe Shop or Cobbler's
Toy Shop or Toy Store
All or most of the aboveDepartment Store
All or most of the aboveSupermarket
Useful Shopping Phrases
Finding a ShopOpening Hours
- Can you recommend a good toy/clothes shop?
- Is there a chemists/supermarket in the area?
- Where can I get toothpaste/pet food?
- Where's the nearest shopping centre?
- There's a really good bookshop just around the corner.
- You can buy that here in the hotel.
- The best toy shop is in the shopping centre.
- The nearest one is a few miles away.
- What time do you open, please?
- What time do you close, please?
- What are your opening hours?
- Are you open all day?
- Are you open on Sundays?
- We're open 24/7. (24 hours a day / 7 days a week)
- We're closed at lunchtime, between 12 and 2pm.
- We're open from 9am till 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Shopping for ClothesPaying
- Could you help me, please?
- Could you tell me where the ................ department is?
- Excuse me, I'm looking for a .......... .
- Is there somewhere I can try this on, please?
- Does it suit me?
- Do you have this in a (larger/smaller size) (different colour), please?
- Do you do alterations?
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Is this in the sale?
- It's too long / short.
- It's too tight / loose.
- The ladies / gents changing rooms are over there.
- You can bring it back and exchange it or get a refund within 2 weeks if you keep the receipt.
- Do you take credit cards?
- Do you give credit?
- Do you have a loyalty card?
- Does it have a warranty?
- Can I pay by cheque?
- Do you offer a cash discount?
- Could I have a VAT receipt, please?
- Could I leave my bags here and pick them up later?
- We take all the major credit cards.
- We only accept cheques with a cheque card.
- We are offering 6 months free credit with no deposit.
- Sorry, no.
- Yes, certainly.
HERE WE HAVE TWO CONVERSATIONS. THE FIRST IS BETWEEN MRS SMITH AND HER YOUNGER SON JOHN AT THE SHOPS. THE SECOND IS BETWEEN MRS SMITH AND A SHOP ASSISTANT.
It's Saturday morning and Mrs. Smith is going shopping.
Mrs S:John, I'm going to the shops. Is there anything you want?
John:Yes please! Can you pick up my magazine from the newsagents?
Mrs S:Of course. Do you want to come with me?
John:No way, I'm going round to Mike's house, sorry.
Mrs S:No problem. I'll be about an hour, be home by 5 o'clock at the latest.
John:O.K. I'll see you later.
A bit later......
Mrs S:John are you home?
JohnYes mum, I'm up stairs.
Mrs S:Come down here, I bought you a new Nike T-shirt, I want you to try it on.
JohnNike? Great I'm coming!
A few minutes later.....
Mrs S:Well, does it fit?
JohnI think it's a bit too small.
Mrs S:Let's have a look. Hmmm, I think you've grown again!
JohnI can't wear it though.
Mrs S:Do you like it?
JohnYeah, it's a nice colour.
Mrs S:I'll take it back to the supermarket and see if I can change it.
Mrs Smith had bought a nice new T-shirt for John, but when he tried it on it didn't fit.
It's Saturday evening and Mrs Smith has to return the T-shirt.
Mrs S:Excuse me, can you help me?
Shop AssistantYes of course, what can I do for you?
Mrs S:I bought this T-shirt for my son this afternoon, but it doesn't fit him, it's too small.
Shop AssistantDo you want to change it or get a refund.
Mrs S:I'd like to change it for a larger size. Do you have these in large?
Shop AssistantI'll just check. Let's see, yes we have large or extra large, which would you prefer?
Mrs S:I think large will be fine, it's for my son.
Shop AssistantThat's fine, if it doesn't fit just bring it back again. If you take it to the customer service desk, they'll sort it all out for you.
Mrs S:Thank you. Just as a matter of interest do you give refunds?
Shop AssistantYes, of course. You can bring any clothing items back up to three weeks after purchase, but you must keep the reciept.
Mrs S:I see, thanks again.
Shop Assistant:You're welcome.